Frequently Asked Questions

Who do I contact for Town road maintenance?

Leave a message at the town hall (715) 488-2694 or email to
In case of emergency contact Jeremy Scheider 715-327-3020

Am I allowed to burn in Trade Lake? 

A written burning permit is not required from the Town of Trade Lake or DNR for burning in Trade Lake. However, from March 15 until June 1 burning is ONLY allowed after 6PM. For the remainder of the year there are no hour restrictions. No matter when you have a burning project it is always best to check the current fire danger and burning recommendations with the WI DNR.
This information is available by calling 888-WIS-BURN (1-888-947-2876) or by clicking on this link: WISBURN Current Fire Situation – WISDNR Map

How do I get a dog license?

All dogs in the Town of Trade Lake must have a dog license (Find the form on Forms & Permits page)

Licenses are issued by the Town Treasurer. You must submit current rabis certificate. Dog license fees must be a separate check from your tax payment. Rabbis certificates can be emailed to the treasurer at or mailed to Patsy Tucker, 22200 County Rd Y, Grantsburg, WI 54840.

Dog Licenses are due by April 1st. All late requests must include a $5.00 late fee.

Who should I call if I find a stray dog?

Contact the Humane Society of Burnett County, Inc at (715) 866-4096

Where do I take articles for recycling? 

Trade Lake’s recycling is located next to the Town Shop at 11810 Town Hall Rd. every Saturday (No Holidays) from 9:00am to 2:00 pm.

Does Trade Lake plow driveways?


Where do I vote?

Trade Lake Town Hall. 11811 Town Hall Rd, Frederic, WI 54837. Across from the Town Shop. See Elections for more information on voting.

Where can I get absentee ballot information?

Absentee Ballot information can be found on the Elections page or contact the Town of Trade Lake Deputy Clerk, Bonnie Wicklund

Please call with questions or to make an appointment:
715-488-2227 or 715-566-0811
Mailing address:
21350 N Bass Lake Road
Grantsburg, WI 54840

When are taxes due and who do I pay? 

The first installment is due January 31 and payable to the Trade Lake Town Treasurer, Patsy Tucker (see contact info). The second installment is due July 31 and payable to the Burnett County Treasurer at Burnett County Treasurer, 7410 County Rd K, # 101, Siren, WI 54872. Taxes can be paid on line at Point and Pay.


How do I change the mailing address on my property tax statement? 

Please contact the Burnett County Treasurer at this link: Burnett County Address Change Form

Do I need a building permit? 

YES. Trade Lake contracts with a building inspector for building permits.
Please contact Jon Mattson – Atlas Inspections at 715-554-2305

Mailing address:
2137 295th Ave.
Luck, WI 54853

If Trade Lake does not require a building permit, Burnett County still might.
Contact Trade Lake’s building inspector or Burnett County Land Services Office 715-349-2109, ext. 2611 for more information.

Driveway Permits are required for installation of driveways. Trade lake driveway permits can be obtained from the Town Clerk (see contact info). Driveway permits can be downloaded and printed from the forms and permits tab.

When and where does the Town Board meet? 

The Town Board has its monthly regular scheduled meetings the second Thursday of the month at 6:00 pm. All meetings are held at the Town Hall. Any deviation in the schedule will be posted as well as listed on this website under Agendas & Minutes.

Town Hall Address:
11811 Town Hall Rd
Frederic, WI 54837

Where are meeting notices posted? 

All meeting notices are posted at the Town Hall, Trade Lake Store, Bass Lake Lumber and on this website. Meetings and notices that require publishing will be published in the Burnett County Sentinel, Inter-County Leader and the Indianhead Advertiser.

Where and how do I turn in gopher tails? 

Call the Clerk (see Town Board & Staff) to set up a time to drop off tails and fill out the Gopher Control form on Forms & Permits page.

ONLY POCKET GOPHERS TAILS accepted. The current gopher bounty is $3.00 per whole tail (no partial tails). Your check will be mailed after the next monthly Board of Supervisors meeting.

Can I light off fireworks? 

Yes, please submit a Fireworks Permit and contact the Town Chairman.

What is the speed limit for the Town?

All Town roads are 55 mph unless otherwise posted. See Wis. Stat. § 346.57(4)(h).

All Town and County roads within the Town are open to ATV/UTV use and have a maximum ATV/UTV speed limit of 35 mph. Slowing to 10 mph within 100 ft of a dwelling or nearing pedestrians, bicyclist and equestrians.